Higher National Diploma (HND) Awarded by EdExcel
Our HND course offers you the opportunity to learn about business, and prepares you for working in the business world. The course covers the core business skills, which are essential to be effective in today’s work environment. We place much emphasis on the development of practical skills, which can be applied in your future working life. An important element of the HND Business Management course is the way we combine your learning and assessment. You will attend formal lectures during most of your units, but there is also a great deal of emphasis upon you being able to practice what you have learnt, and develop your practical skills. Much of your learning will be through case studies, videos, role-play, group work and student-led seminars.
The HND is a level 5 qualification delivered over 2 years, the first year at level 4 and the second year at level 5. The HNC is an embedded component of the HND, however, it can be taken as a stand- alone qualification. If a student opts to take the HNC they would be eligible to gain a National Certificate after successful completion of a minimum of 8 units.
After successful completion of a minimum of 16 units students would be eligible to gain a Higher National Diploma (HND). The Higher National Diploma is a 240-credit qualification and Higher National Certificate is a 120-credit qualification.
HND Programme Content (240 credits)
- GCSE standard or overseas UK equivalent of Secondary standards / Secondary standards with work experience in the relevant field.
- Any other Ofqual approved UK Level 3 QCF qualification, or equivalent.
- Level 2 English and Numeracy is mandatory or international students should possess 50% in their secondary Mathematics with CEFR – B 1 equivalent in English.
- Learners aged 18 and above with suitable work experience in the relevant industry sector.
Year One (8 units)
- Business Environment (Core)
- Managing Financial Resources and Decisions (Core)
- Organisations and Behaviour (Core)
- Marketing Principles (Core)
- Aspects of Contract and Negligence for Business (Core)
- The Internet and E-Business
- Human Resource Management
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
Year Two (8 units)
- Business Decision Making (Core)
- Business Strategy (Core)
- Research Project (Core)
- Business Ethics
- Employability Skills
- Working with and Leading People
- Small Business Enterprise
- Operations Management in Business
- Assessment of BTEC Higher Nationals is by assignment, typically one or two assignments per unit. These assignments will vary and include a combination of formal reports, presentations and practical tasks, but there will be no formal exams.
- All units will be individually graded as ‘pass’, ‘merit’ or ‘distinction’ To achieve a full qualification you must pass all 8 units to achieve the higher certificate and all 16 units to achieve the higher diploma.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the underlying concepts and principles of business and management, and an ability to evaluate them.
- Present, evaluate and interpret data, to develop lines of argument and make sound judgement in areas of business and management.
- Evaluate different approaches to business problem solving.
- Communicate results of studies/research effectively.
- Develop new skills relevant to the areas of business and management, including the development of skills to optimise employability.
After Completing the HND you can
- Apply to the third year of university degrees.
- Use the qualification to progress your career in business.