Do I need to apply for a Tier 4 student visa before I travel to the UK?

Depending on your nationality and circumstances, you may be able to study in the United Kingdom without needing to apply for adult student visa under (Tier 4) General category. However, your work entitlement may be restricted. In order to qualify to study in the UK without applying for a student visa under Tier 4, you must be:

  • A national of a country in a European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
  • You are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;
  • You are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here; or You have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.

For more information, you may go to the UKBA website at